Transformer - Decepticon

Transformer - Decepticon

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Jamestown Bridge 10K...

Well.. this run was the first of my "long runs" during the course of my training for the Iron Nugget Sprint Tri this summer. This picture of the Jamestown Bridge dipicts it on a nice sunny day. The weather conditions were not the greatest on April 23rd.. Let me describe it for you... RAINY, WINDY & COLD! ~~ and as you can see the bridge has a steep incline, if thats what you want to call it. ( I call it a hill, anything I have to run up.. is a hill) So needless to say on race day.. the lightweights stayed home and the dedicated and motivated runner's came out & we got it done! I have to say.. it was a fun experience and everyone was fabulous.

I started off quicker than I normally would.. but I wanted to stay with my sister Lynn ( AKA the Gazzel.. because she's FAST) for as long as I could. We ran together until we reached the crest of the first incline (hill) on the bridge. After that I told her to "get out of here"! At this point I'm only holding her back.

I felt pretty strong, legs were holding up and breathing was getting back to normal. I was just happy that I was still moving. The wind at the top of the Bridge was pretty strong and creating a strong resistance for me.

My only concern on this run was to continue running.. I didn't want to walk and also get past the time limitation.. I just needed & wanted to get past that point. I would have been devistated if I couldn't finish the race.

I would say that around mile 4.5 my left knee & hip (glut medius& IT Band) started acting up. I was already past the half way point so I slowed my pace down.. didn't help, pain get worse. Only when I got off the bridge and started running up the last incline did I start walking with a long stretched out gait. I was dissapointed in myself for walking, however I was not going to put myself in a more serious situation by continueing to run. My sister & The Gunny were waiting for me at the end, cheering me on ~~ you know it's always good to have family & friends or running partners waiting for you at the end. My official time was 1:29;33. I will take that in a heart beat!!

This was my 2nd officail 10K race and I came home with a PR by 10 minutes!! I was so excited about that. Weather condiditions for both races were at either end of the spectrum hot & muggy to cold & rainy with hills!!

Thats fabulous training for ya!!

So immidately after the race I soked in an ipsom salt bath.. felt so good on my sore legs. I was sore for about 3 days, not goning to lie.. very cranky.. I haven't felt like that in a long time. BUT it also gave me a slight inclanation into how I have to increase my training and what I have to work on.

I went on a 3.5 mile run last night, still alittle sore and sluggish to begin with, but over all happy with the accomplishment.

The only downside to my training right now is battling the allergies ... that is seriously impeeding me.

Hopefully next week will be better. I have also lost 4lbs as well. I'm feeling really good about this whole process. It also makes me feel good when my clients ask about my training as well.

Well, I'm out for now.. I'll be posting more soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment